Sunday, July 30, 2017

Craft Along with GIY: It Takes Two


The theme for the June/July Craft Along with GIY is It Takes Two. For my project, I made a pair of speaker covers that double as candle holders.

First step was to find a box of appropriate size to fit over the speakers. I wanted a rounded shape, so I opted for an oatmeal canister made of cardboard.

I removed the label, turned the canister upside down, and cut a notch in the back for the speaker wires to go through.

Next, I cut a window for the speaker cones. Then I painted the top and bottom edge of the canister black.

I wrapped the canister with black paper. To uncover the window opening, I slit the paper in an X shape from corner to corner.

Then I folded the paper into the opening and taped it to the inside of the canister.

I decided to use lace to cover the window. This would visually disguise the speaker cones but not block the sound. Using lace and jacquard, I sewed a band to encircle the canister.

I wrapped the band around the canister and pinned it in the back.

I placed the covers over the speakers and added pillar candles.

To share your Craft Along with GIY project:
1.  Add the Craft Along with GIY icon to your blog post. Link the icon to this page:
http://gothityourself.blogspot.com/p/craft-along-with-giy.html
2.  Leave a comment with a link to your project. If you're not a blogger, you can link to your webpage, Instagram, or anywhere else readers can see it. (Please link directly to the project page.)

I will compile the links on the Craft Along with GIY page.

13 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pair of items that does double duty. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually hoard oatmeal containers like a crazy person, and I never thought about crafting with them. They are the perfect shape and size for your candle/speaker combo! Also, I finally participated!
    http://themutantstompfriends.blogspot.com/2017/08/giy-it-takes-two-metalsmithing-jewelry.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original plan was just speaker covers, but when I discovered the bottom of the container had a raised edge, I thought, hey, I could put candles on these. ;)

      Wow, you did amazing work on the jewelry! :D Thanks for participating!

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic! What a wonderful idea, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete